Genoot - Family History Services  
 EventsDirectoryLibrarySmall AdsAboutContact
  Library  

Library | Location | England | Oxfordshire | Cogges

Topographical Dictionary of England, Lewis, 1831

Cogges, Oxfordshire


COGGES, a parish in the hundred of WOOTTON, county of OXFORD, 1¼ mile (S.E. by E.) from Witney, containing 452 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage not in charge, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Oxford, endowed with £15 per annum private benefaction, and £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. In 1695, William Blake, Esq. bequeathed land producing about £50 per annum, out of which £6 is paid for teaching twenty-four children at High Cogges, £6 for a like purpose at Newland in Cogges, and £20 for clothes, books, and other charitable uses. Some of the family of Arsic, who were lords of the barony, founded here an Alien priory of Black monks, subordinate to the abbey of Fescamp in Normandy; after the dissolution of foreign cells its possessions were granted by Henry VI. towards the endowment of Eton College.

 

     
Copyright 2002. Genoot. All rights reserved
Please read our Terms of Use | Privacy Policy