Genoot - Family History Services  
 EventsDirectoryLibraryAboutContact
  Library  

Library | Location | England | Bedfordshire | Sandy

Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9

Sandy, Bedfordshire


SANDY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Ivel and on the Great Northern railway, at the intersection of the Bedford and Cambridge railway, and on the Roman road from St. Albans to Godmanchester, 3 miles NNW of Biggleswade; is supposed to occupy the site of the Roman station Salinæ; and has a post-office‡ under St. Neots, and a r. station with telegraph. The township contains also the village of Gritford, and the hamlets of Beeston-Green and Stratford; and comprises 3,800 acres. Real property, £8,587. Pop. in 1851, 1,565; in 1861, 1,754. Houses, 380. The parish includes also 210 acres of Beeston hamlet, with a pop. of 364 in 1861, and 81 houses. The property is much subdivided. The Hasells, Cæsar's camp, and Swiss Cottage are chief residences. Market-gardening is largely carried on. Two ancient camps, one of them called Cæsar's, and covering about 30 acres, are in the vicinity of the village; and many Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found. S. Warren is a meet for the Cambridgeshire hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £769.* Patrons, the Executors of the late F. Pym, Esq. The church is cruciform, with W tower; and was restored in 1860, at a cost of £3,300. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels at Beeston-Green, and charities £90.

     
Copyright 2002. Genoot. All rights reserved
Please read our Terms of Use | Privacy Policy