Genoot - Family History Services  
 EventsDirectoryLibraryAboutContact
  Library  

Library | Location | England | Bedfordshire | Houghton Regis

Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9

Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire


HOUGHTON-REGIS, a village and a parish in Luton district, Beds. The village stands near Watling-street, 1 mile N of Dunstable r. station; and has a post-office under Dunstable. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bidwell, Puddle-hill, Sewell, and Thorn. Acres, 4,500. Real property, £8,920. Pop., 2,169. Houses, 452. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Bedford. Houghton Hall is the seat of H. Brandreth, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is early English; was recently restored; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a a tower; and contains an effigies of a knight and monuments of the Brandreths. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a large national school of 1847, an endowed school with £50 a-year, and a charity with £10.

     
Copyright 2002. Genoot. All rights reserved
Please read our Terms of Use | Privacy Policy