Genoot - Family History Services  
 EventsDirectoryLibraryAboutContact
  Library  

Library | Location | England | Bedfordshire | Haynes

Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9

Haynes, Bedfordshire


HAWNES, or HAYNES, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 3 miles W of Southill r. station, and 4 NE of Ampthill; and has a post-office under Bedford. the parish comprises 2,561 acres. Real property, £3,990. Pop., 932. Houses, 196. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Newdegates, passed to the Carterets, and belongs now to Lord John Thynne. Grange Farm belonged to Chicksands priory; and is an interesting old edifice, with a fine staircase. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500. Patron, Sir George R. Osborn, Bart. The church is early decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; contains the vault of the Carteret family; and was restored in 1850. There is a national school.

     
Copyright 2002. Genoot. All rights reserved
Please read our Terms of Use | Privacy Policy