Genoot - Family History Services  
 LibraryAboutContact
  Library  

Library | Location | England | Bedfordshire | Arlesey

Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9

Arlesey, Bedfordshire


ARLESEY, ARLSEY, or ARSLEY, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands on the river Hiz, a little E of the Great Northern railway, 4 miles ESE of Shefford; and it has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Baldock, and was formerly a market-town. The parish comprises 2,370 acres. Real property, £5,357. Pop., 1,401. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. An ancient castle stood at Etonbury, near the road to Baldock; and appears, from an entrenchment which still remains, to have been a place of considerable strength. The living is a vicarage, united with Astwick rectory, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420.* Patron, James Curtis, Esq. The church contains a sculptured font and ancient monuments, and is good. One of the monuments is to Richard Edwards, styled "the last grand reader" of the temple.

     
Copyright 2002. Genoot. All rights reserved
Please read our Terms of Use | Privacy Policy